Unsettling viewing & Coca Cola

What is it with my caffeine intolerance to coca cola?  You'd think I'd have learned by now that if I drink a can of the stuff with my dinner, I'll still be awake at 2am writing my blog... Or for that matter doing anything that occupies time but sleeping. It's a nightmare! Or at least it would be if I was asleep. I'm sure that starting the day off with "Old Brown Java" doesn't help the situation either, but some things just have to be, and good coffee is one of those things. 



Saturday night was Mr B's birthday dinner as arranged by Mrs B. A couplely do in a restaurant in Cheltenham. We started off with a couple of drinks in the world famous 'Montpellier Wine Bar' as frequented by none other than Sir Michael Caine in the 1987 movie "The Whistle Blower" http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0092206/

It's a small place with a reputation for being the place that the big knobs hang out it. And most of the clientele do seem to have enlarged snobbery glands. Don't get me wrong, it's actually a very pleasant place only spoiled by the odd wannabe millionaire in permatan and ray bans. But then it takes all sorts to make the world go round. The 8 of us (Mr & Mrs B, D&E, H&C and Mrs G & I) made the best of it though and by the time we'd moved onto the restaurant (Ha!Ha!) and got seated we were up to 10 with the arrival of N&D of formula 1 fame (long but very interesting story for another time). 

Food and drinks were consumed but rather disappointingly 2 out of the 5 steaks were not particularly good although this was the only complaint throughout. Fantastic Pate and excellent company. Mr B tried very hard to persuade Mrs B to allow him a trip to Las Vegas for his birthday celebrations next year. I can assure you that it won't be happening. Mrs G and I arrived home in the wee small hours and a good time was had by all.

Sunday was a lovely leisurely day. I rustled up a cooked brunch and Mrs G and I went for a ride on the bikes in the afternoon. Monday we'll be doing similar but with daughter as well. Now that will be entertaining as she's a hard taskmaster.  Sunday late afternoon, son and I caught a movie and it turned out to unsettling viewing although unbeknownst to me at the time, the second movie of the day was even more so. I'm talking about "Kick-Ass" & "Unthinkable".  Both entertaining but both a little worrying.

Kick-Ass is great fun mind you. Completely insane comic book hero stuff with tons of dark comedy throughout and actually thoroughly enjoyable. My worry is the 13 year old who plays "Hit Girl". Without wishing to go into too much detail or giveaway the plot, she is only 13, so some of her language and actions many people will find offensive. I'm sure you see the problem. An entertaining piece of nouveau art and you can get away with it. An action movie with a tough nut little girl, and I'm not so certain.  The underlying story helps, but probably best if you judge for yourself.  I certainly would never suggest NOT watching it, but I would suggest that you remember it's NOT real, but that it is a tounge-in-cheek black comedy. Perhaps if you compared it to the more realistic "Leon: The Professional" you'd feel better about the whole thing.  8/10

Unthinkable on the other hand, is much darker still. No comedy in here. Not your standard action romp either. A good "thinker" of a movie which will really make you question the difference between the "Good guys" and the "Bad guys" which is of course just a historical hollywood over-simplification for dramatic effect in the first place, but one that we have all become so used to that we hold it up as fact. Life is not Black and/or White. Very nicely done and recommended if you can stomach the violence. On a related note; As much as I thought 1970's Leeds United were dirty players, I didn't think their manager deserved such treatment.  If you've seen "The Damned United" and then this, you'll know what a fantastic character actor Michael Sheen ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0790688/ ) is and you might know what I"m on about.  8/10

Hope you're working hard.....


This post originally appeared here: Posterous

Comments